Jack
Solitary
Accounts : Jack
Bones : 20

Species : Gray wolf
VA : Ciarán Strange

Partner : None yet
Jack
PostSubject: . Woes in my Wake . . Woes in my Wake . EmptySat Apr 13 2019, 18:05

[ !! OUTDATED CHARACTER VERSION !! ]

A soldier on my own, I don't know the way
I'm riding up the heights of shame

In the vast, sun-drenched badlands, where the skies were clear of clouds and the ground trembled with heat, a lone figure struggled across the arid landscape, seeming to come from nowhere, as the path that lay behind her was hazy. Over the span of days, her paws had grown tired of fleeing no matter the pace, and her every muscle in her body ached after being strained again and again in a hopeless attempt to escape the Sunlander Realm - something in which she'd succeeded, but at what cost? As much as there was no one to abuse her or force her into a position she wholeheartedly despised, there was no one to back her up either, no one to catch were she to fall. If she would just succumb to the pain, to the heat..

Much to her own surprise, Aries' journey off the beaten track had lead her somewhere. Stumbling, at some points close to collapsing, the rusty-furred canine scrambled up the small rocky ridge that overlooked that she was after; something out of a dream, it seemed, as she couldn't believe nor trust her own eyes at that moment. That rare, nonetheless appreciable moment of.. bliss? No, it was far more euphoric than that, than everything she'd ever felt since her turning of age - freedom. A silver web of creeks cut into the earth like bear claws tear through unprepared flesh, stretching out towards the horizon, contrasting the bleak outline of the mountains in the distance. A land, an entirely new realm just appeared before her eyes!

If she'd been able to, the wolf would've let out the most distorted and shrillest of howls, let her voice be heard for once, but this time it was her own body that held her back. Two, maybe three husky barks pierced the sky, followed by a thud as her wrists and ankles could take no more and dropped her right down on the ledge, muzzle facing the abyss.
I'm waiting for the call, the hand on the chest
I'm ready for the fight, and fate

Last edited by Jack on Mon Jun 10 2019, 17:50; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Korynthe
Solitary
Accounts : -
Bones : 11

VA : Felicia Day

Partner : -
Korynthe
PostSubject: Re: . Woes in my Wake . . Woes in my Wake . EmptySat Apr 13 2019, 19:22

Five months ago, the young she-wolf had left her pack in search of a new life. Well, technically she hadn't left her pack. She never would have left them. She didn't have a choice, though. Humans had attacked them, destroyed their home. They had killed her parents, her partner, her siblings and the alpha of the pack without mercy. Not that she was surprised. She had been told tales of the cruelty of the two-legged creatures from the moment she was old enough to listen.
But, those five long months ago, she had been ready. She was still young and full of energy, even if the deaths of her loved ones had left her devastated.
Except then she had been caught off-guard by Winter. Then her one friend died. He had been injured in a hunt and froze to death after telling her to leave him behind. And now, five months later, Spring started breaking through. Five months and she'd finally found new land.
Of course, as any curious wolf would have, she set out to explore the area. There were less humans than in her homeland at least, and she'd grown in her time away from everything.
And now, at this very moment, Korynthe was walking again. The red rock under her was hot to her toes. The sun shone down on her in a way she wasn't used to, as she came from a beautiful forest. She had gone up against snowy tundras, large forests and wild rivers, but this was something else entirely. It had been a short while since she had seen water last, and she'd eaten not much time prior, yet she could tell she was tired.
That said, she couldn't just lay down and sleep. She hadn't heard of anyone dying because of heat, but she was sane enough to know that this was not a good resting place.
So yes, she was looking for shade. A place to lay down and plan out her next move. She had no one to watch her back, and who knew what dangers lay beyond? The young wolf had seen some humans, some larger animals, but the area was big. Maybe there were already packs present, ready to kill her for invading their territory as soon as they spotted her (although she really doubted anyone would want to lay claim on such a wasteland like this).
Her mind trailed back to how far she'd come. She had travelled this far, it would be a shame to die now. And the idea of dying here, alone, with no one to mourn her… It frightened her. She would just fade away like she'd never existed, in not a single wolf's memory. And the memory of her people would be lost too.
Enough with the crisis. She was not even three years old yet! She wouldn't die, not here, not now. Not today.
So Korynthe kept on walking. She was used to walking by now. One foot in front of the other, no need to rush; rushing would only hurt her by now.
She kept her senses sharp. She seemed to be alone now, but she could be wrong. This area was untouched by humans, but who knew what kind of wolves could be here?
Finally, she noticed a spot on the horizon. It was difficult to make out, the vague form almost blending in with the rocks of the seemingly endless wasteland, but it wasn't a rock. As she got closer, she noticed fur.
Her ears picked up on a few barks. It seemed to come from the figure before her. The figure - the wolf - then dropped at the ledge.
Korynthe wasn't sure if she could approach. She couldn't tell just from a few husky barks whether this wolf was friendly or not. In the past months she had come to assume the worst of the wolves she met, mostly out of self-defense. It could very well be a trap, to play on her need to help people. Something she had gotten from her partner, who had been adamant about helping other wolves.
Nonetheless, she needed to at least try. Just in case the wolf was friendly. So Korynthe stepped forward and sat at a safe distance from the ledge, unlike the wolf.
Heights had always been scary for her.
“Hello?” she tried, almost unsure if the wolf was even awake. They did lie there, unmoving. Maybe the wolf was dead?
No, they were breathing. Whoever they were.
Korynthe almost held her own breath, awaiting the wolf’s response.
Back to top Go down
Jack
Solitary
Accounts : Jack
Bones : 20

VA : Ciarán Strange

Partner : None yet
Jack
PostSubject: Re: . Woes in my Wake . . Woes in my Wake . EmptySun Apr 14 2019, 10:14

[ !! OUTDATED CHARACTER VERSION !! ]

A soldier on my own, I don't know the way
I'm riding up the heights of shame

Dramatic meltdowns like the one she was proudly displaying at that moment weren't uncommon for Aries; in fact, especially during times of hardship and general misfortune, it was quite common to see the young wolf ram her skull against the ground because either she or her mental-she didn't feel like cooperating. However, this was far more severe than any tantrum she'd ever thrown - tiredness had turned into exhaustion ages ago, and now she hit the bottom of her obviously finite energy pond. But why now? Wasn't the sight of a land appearing merely remotely safe enough to lift her back up? Clearly, this was no epic elder's tale, as she was no Moonborn hero or King-to-be and would never get the mates and might they boasted at the end of the story. No, the few things she had now were an agonizing headache, stiff joints and staggering vertigo. It had to be two oakmiles at least, the fall would pulverize her skull, tailbone and everything in between. Judging from the size of the wolf down there, it would be-.. wait, was that really a conspecific?

"Hello?" Yes, it was, it really was a fellow wolf! A wave of mixed feelings hit the outcast fiercely enough to fill her gut with the least little bit of spirit. It wasn't much, but enough for her to lift her head off the sand and stare down in a less corpse-like way. Her sight was blurry, but she was responsive enough to react. "I'm-.. I'm.." Wasn't that difficult, only had to say the crucial bits.. ".. I'm not gonna jump, you know.." There, as useful as any answer. Aries figured she would feel better and stronger after prying open that moody maw of hers, though again, the opposite was true. ".. I'll come down in a minute, just need to catch my b-breath.." Weak.. so damned weak. This wasn't going to get her anywhere, let go down! Panting like a birthing Queen, the Sunlander managed to get a grip on the rocks on her left, and pulled herself towards the rocky road leading down. The path was steep, not as steep as the mountain hunting roads back home, but still a challenge for a wolf who wasn't even strong enough to talk properly. "You're more than this," Aries would scold herself, pressing her pawpads against the dust. "Just.. slide if you have to." A few shuffles, a grunt, and there she went. Past the first half, she caught a whiff of something familiar. Something metallic, bittersweet in a way - reminding her of the sensitive, partially healing wound on her belly that was now being scraped by hard rocks..
I'm waiting for the call, the hand on the chest
I'm ready for the fight, and fate

Last edited by Jack on Mon Jun 10 2019, 17:50; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Korynthe
Solitary
Accounts : -
Bones : 11

VA : Felicia Day

Partner : -
Korynthe
PostSubject: Re: . Woes in my Wake . . Woes in my Wake . EmptySun Apr 14 2019, 12:56

Korynthe watched the unfamiliar wolf with caution as they lifted their head slightly to look at her. They, or rather, she, appeared to be weak. Korynthe thought about running, fleeing and living the rest of her life in solitude, but she couldn't. She had said the first words. To abandon the weak wolf before her would be like giving up on her pack's principles.
And yes, perhaps she was stupid. Maybe it had been the better choice to leave the wolf alone and be on her way, find water and food and shelter.
‘Doesn't matter,’ Korynthe thought to herself. She knew she would've approached the wolf even if she knew how much she would doubt herself afterwards. She was curious like that.
"I'm-.. I'm.." the wolf finally spoke up. ".. I'm not gonna jump, you know.."
That was a relief. This was, after all, the first wolf she'd spoken to in a while.
".. I'll come down in a minute, just need to catch my b-breath.." the she-wolf said. Korynthe watched her make her way down. She took a step back, unsure of what to do.
And then the scent of blood caught her attention.
Was the unfamiliar wolf hurt? How badly? Was she dying? Oh, Korynthe wasn't watching anyone else die. Not that she had much say in it, the knowledge of healing had been a well-kept secret back in the pack and she'd always been more of a fighter than a healer. She didn't know how to handle injured wolves!
Not that she had a choice, at this point.
Once the other she-wolf neared the ground on Korynthe's level, she approached. “Are you okay?” she managed to ask.
‘Wow, Kor, good question.’ She found herself wishing for help more often than she wanted lately, and this wasn't much different. At this point she just hoped the injury wasn't as severe as she feared. Besides, the wolf before her had survived this long. Maybe it was just a scratch. The other wolf would be fine.
Right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content
PostSubject: Re: . Woes in my Wake . . Woes in my Wake . Empty

Back to top Go down
. Woes in my Wake .
View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Canavar :: Archive-
Jump to: